Monday, March 31, 2008

Tax Refund = New Wardrobe?

Tax time is here and luckily, I'm getting a refund only because I was in grad school last year.

Instead, what will you spend your refund on? Or have you spent your refund already? Are you disciplined, buying something small and saving the rest? Many gals I know look forward to their yearly tax refund and use it directly towards a new spring wardrobe. After all, it feels like free money--and that's the trick: get mid-income consumers to spend their refund (plus the extra $600 coming mid-year) to literally buy us out of recession.

While I also enjoy fashion, be smart about your consumer choices. Even I can rationalize spending $160 on the perfect Isabel Marant t-shirt I'll wear 50 times, but I try not to put myself into debt doing so (although I have put myself into debt in the past for such silliness). And remember, consumer waste inevitably equals garbage waste. How many things from H&M and Urban Outfitters have you discarded in the past few years?

One thing I've learned in working retail is how to spend wisely on clothing. I've worked at expensive boutiques were few of the customers could truly afford the lifestyle of luxury shopping. Most shoppers were just good at floating debt around, and to be honest, none of those women are particularly stylish, even though they spend thousands of dollars a season on their wardrobes.

If you are lucky enough to be receiving a refund, be smart. Buy yourself something new for spring you will actually wear the whole season (as long as that special something isn't a $1200 Lanvin bag) and put the rest towards paying off your debts. Am I channeling Suze Orman or what? Sheesh.

Above photo of Cheech the Cat doing her taxes.

1 comment:

Oscar Arriola said...

So what did Cheech the Cat spend her refund on? A new scratching post to replace that couch in the living room?