Thursday, June 18, 2009

Welcome Back

I haven't posted on here in over a year. I'm not going to explain why, but instead start where I last left off--because that's how good friendships work!

Bet you didn't know it's summer by the way it's been raining every single day.

Seeing this lemon dress by Phillip Lim cheered me up a bit.

3.1 Phillip Lim dress available at Bird

It made me remember that uhh...I LIKE CLOTHES. This sounds silly, but it's important to me because I've been going through this guilt about liking fashion which is connected to my serious MONEY GUILT. I realized recently that I spent more than I would have liked to spend because I was so determined to live in New York and work in the fashion and retail industries. I often feel like I have a closet full of nice clothes whose combined costs total more than my current net worth.

Yes, it's a bit of a downer, but it's important to note moments like this so that I don't make the same mistake again. And I'm writing this so that others out there understand that while it's important to look the part and it's nice to surround yourself with things you find aethestically appealing (soft silks! comfy chunky-heeled booties!)--they are LUXURIES and should not be put before paying, you know, the rent.

I am lucky to have a few favorite dresses by Isabel Marant and Tsumori Chisato--I worked at a very nice boutique and got the clothes free. But I have sold a few items on ebay I no longer loved and made some nice loot. Anyway, lesson learned. In future postings, I'd like to explore building a wardrobe on a budget that incorporates the emerging and European designers I love with mass finds from Uniqlo and Forever 21.

Since I'm on a compaining rant, I've also been feeling like there are so few real men left. Now with more and more young women holding the reigns on their educations and careers, I've seen many a scumbag (sorry, just being honest!) come along and mooch of the ladies' hard work. Men on unemployment dating hot women with good jobs? And what's with all the men on unemployment taking trips to Europe? Where have all the cowboys gone?

Who knew lemons could make me realize so much?

No comments: